Sr Principal Systems Safety EngineerBusinesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type Secret Relocation eligible Yes Job ID 169184BR Date posted 09/24/2020 City Tucson State AZ Country United States
Check us out on YouTube:
At Raytheon Technologies (RTX), we are defining the future of aerospace and defense with ambitious technologies that push the limits of known science. Our technologies help our customers take on the world's biggest challenges. Together we are advancing research and development in both the defense and commercial aerospace sectors.
The Whole Life Engineering Directorate (WLE) is responsible for ensuring our products are Safe, Reliable, Maintainable, and delivered on time. WLE consists of multiple disciplines that support engineering, our program offices and our customers. Our WLE disciplines participate in the total life cycle of our products from conception to deactivation. Our focus area is product support, which includes the following disciplines: reliability, system safety, and supportability.
The System Safety Engineering Department is seeking candidates for a SeniorPrincipal System Safety Engineer position, located in Tucson, AZ.
Experienced engineers will lead our System Safety program efforts by conducting safety engineering tasks, while also providing direction and mentoring of junior system safety engineers. In addition, the Senior Principal System Safety Engineer will act as technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) and technical advisor within the System Safety Engineering Department.
System Safety Engineering ensures our Raytheon Technologies (RTX) products safely perform their required mission functions throughout their required lifecycle environments, while also meeting overall cost and schedule constraints. This position supports programs by working with missile engineering personnel to ensure that our products are designed with safety in mind.
The Sr Principal System Safety Engineer is an experienced engineer that will work with direction from Program and System Safety Department Leadership and will exercise considerable latitude in technical decisions to meet customer safety requirements. The Sr Principal System Safety Engineer will identify key safety issues and addressing them with optimal technical solutions.
The Sr Principal System Safety Engineer will be proficient in the following disciplines and processes: MIL-STD-882E System Safety management tasks and methodologies, MIL-STD-882E hazard analyses, software and firmware system safety, DoD system safety review boards. The Senior Principal System Safety Engineer will be familiar with Insensitive Munitions program activities, dangerous goods transportation, Explosive Hazard Classification, U.S. Government test range safety requirements, Explosive Ordnance Disposal data, and system safety tool sets.
The Sr Principal System Safety Engineer will be able to manage one or more System Safety programs. This position requires a high degree of self-motivation, communications and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with coworkers, RTX and external Program office customers; and the ability to prepare for and present the Safety program results to appropriate DoD system safety review boards.
- Perform System Safety engineering tasks and analyses, applying technical knowledge to meet RTX and customer safety program requirements
- Interpretation of system requirements, customer specifications and military standards to develop appropriate safety requirements for hazard mitigation or elimination
- Design influence and verification via conduct of fault tree analyses, hazard analyses, sneak circuit analyses, and software and firmware safety analyses.
- Prepare internal and customer reports describing various analyses relevant to the System Safety program
- Collaborate with and function across multiple disciplines to gain a full understanding of the product architecture and design
- Manage one or more System Safety programs; responsibilities include monitoring program technical execution, interfacing with stakeholders (e.g. customers, program offices, subcontractors, vendors, etc.), performing Earned Value Management System tasks and effectively managing System Safety engineering personnel as needed to support program tasks.
- Act as Technical Advisor to the WLE Directorate and Mission Area Chief Engineers on matters relating to System Safety Engineering.
Required Skills, Education, and Experience:
- US Citizenship
- Bachelors’ Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM); Desired: ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
- Ten (10) years of related DoD system safety engineering experience
- Proficient in performing MIL-STD-882E hazard analyses, to include software safety, firmware safety, Fault Tree analysis, failure diagnosis and corrective action recommendations
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Access and Project
- Effective preparation and presentation to Department of Defense Safety Review Boards to include: Software System Safety Technical Review Panel; Weapon System Explosives Safety Review Board; Fuze and Initiation System Technical Review Panel; Department of Defense Explosives Safety Board; Non-Nuclear Munitions Safety Board
- Twelve (12) years of related system safety engineering experience
- Master’s Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM); Desired: ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
- Experience in Rocket Motor Ignition Systems and Fuzing Systems safety requirements and qualifications testing programs (MIL-STD-1901A, MIL-STD-1316 and JOTP-052)
- Experience with application of Emotional Intelligence® concepts, techniques
- Strong written, oral and presentation skills
- Interface with customers and Safety Review Boards
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills, with the ability to manage a safety program and provide direction to supporting safety personnel
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.