Senior Principal IT Platform Engineer/Technical Lead (CaaS Team)Businesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type Secret Relocation eligible No Ability to Telecommute Full time telecommuting Job ID 185098BR Most Recent Date Posted 09/07/2021 City Tucson State AZ Country United States
Raytheon Missiles & Defense Digital Technology
Digital Infrastructure Services – CaaS/ROCKS Team
Remote/Telecommute (Andover MA/Tucson AZ)
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, you have the opportunity to try new things and make a bigger difference across a broader end-to-end solution, a richer technology and product set, an expanded range of disciplines, a growing global footprint and a more diverse team of colleagues and customers.
Are you passionate about Digital Transformation, automating systems, and working with Kubernetes, containers and the cloud native stack driving continuous improvement and optimization? Do you enjoy partnering and working with a cohesive set of diverse individuals committed to solving complex, challenging technical problems to accelerate business growth and efficiencies? If the answer to these questions is “yes”, then this is the opportunity you are looking for!
The Senior Principal Platform Engineer/Technical Lead role will report into the Digital Infrastructure Services organization to design, maintain and implement RMD business wide orchestration and container management platforms based on Kubernetes to support program software, solutions and products. The primary responsibilities include leading a technical set of individuals focused on providing highly available container management platforms in unclassified on-premises datacenters, government clouds and closed areas information systems. Additional responsibilities include working across functions, engineering, and program teams to develop and prioritize technical roadmaps, features, and capabilities for standard container management products.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Provide technical leadership for the Installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of Kubernetes clusters
- Lead projects, initiatives and support activities across multiple environments with a diverse set of individuals
- Develop automation and scripted installation and deployment approach across multiple infrastructures
- Implement technical governance and service best practices to ensure overall cluster and platform availability and meet SLA/SLOs
- Establish monitoring tools and management dashboards integrated into platforms with best practice notifications and response processes
- Partner with teams managing infrastructure, networking, and application development to forecast capacity, scaling and demand
- Setup, maintain and automate across various infrastructure with VMWare, AWS GovCloud, Azure for Government, bare metal needs
- Lead a team of technical individuals across the design and execution for all related container orchestration and platform activities
- This is a full telecommuting role, with very infrequent business travel possible as business needs indicate. Our major hub locations, are Tucson, AZ, and Andover, MA.
Qualifications You Must Have:
- Bachelor’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Cloud Computing or Mathematics or related technical field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ of professional experience working in technical fields as a leader, architect, manager, technologist, or engineer.
- Experience deploying new cloud native platforms and systems in classified and/or unclassified work environments.
- Experience implementing automation through CI/CD pipelines, configuration management tools and scripted solutions using Terraform, Ansible or Chef
- Experience installing, deploying, monitoring and supporting Kubernetes clusters in on-premises and cloud infrastructure
- Experience working with Rancher RKE/RKE2, OpenShift Container Platform, VMWare Tanzu, and other leading Kubernetes platforms
- Experience working with agile teams on product mode approaches and partnering with product owners and scrum masters to align and execute work
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance. Except in rare cases, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance
Qualifications We Value:
- Experience designing and operating highly scalable, secure, high performing systems, platforms and Kubernetes clusters
- Experience working with VMWare, AWS GovCloud and Azure for Government
- Prior experience in application management and release methodologies
- Prior experience in application controls and compliance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience leading diverse teams and executing projects on time and budget
- Ability to translate Business and Function demands to technical requirements and tasks
- Ability to clearly document and diagram technical systems
- Experience with multiple automation / orchestration tools including: Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Puppet
- Experience working with cloud native computing foundation Kubernetes components including service mesh, service discovery, package management, observability and monitoring, runtimes, and security
- Understanding of GitOps and using package management technologies with Kubernetes cluster management and operations
- Implementing Kubernetes on air-gapped and regulated networks and environments
- Strong understanding of cloud native landscape and various components
- An active and in-scope Secret US security clearance
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Clearance Information: This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. More information about Security Clearances can be found on the US Department of State government website here: https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.