Principal Electrical Engineer - Motor ControlsBusinesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type Secret Relocation eligible Yes Ability to Telecommute No telecommuting Job ID 190287BR Most Recent Date Posted 10/20/2021 City Tucson State AZ Country United States
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, you have the opportunity to try new things and make a bigger difference across a broader end-to-end solution, a richer technology and product set, an expanded range of disciplines, a growing global footprint and a more diverse team of colleagues and customers.
The Low Voltage Power Products (LVPP) Department supports key Raytheon Missiles and Defense (RMD) products, by providing mission-critical designs relating to power conversion, motor controls, flight termination systems, telemetry, and other analog domains.
We are looking for mid to senior level engineers who have control electronics knowledge to help design robust control systems for important national defense products.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Design, analyze, simulate, test, and document control electronics circuitry potentially utilizing any standard control electronics topologies with the main emphasis on board mounted control end use applications.
- Architect at the circuit card stack level.
- See circuit card and stack development through its design phases, from requirements definition through initial integration testing.
- Drive to meet schedule concerns. Define schedules for circuit, circuit card, and stack level tasking.
- Guide ECAD drafters and junior engineers through layout and routing activities. Define layer stackup definitions. Drive decisions relating to creepage and clearance.
- Lead medium sized teams to success with schedule, budget, and technical execution.
- Engage in personal technical growth and facilitate technical growth in peers and junior engineers. Help to understand what opportunities are needed to mature the organization on the technical front.
- Clearly present work product of your team to functional and program leadership. Manage related risk discussions. Guide junior engineers on technical presentation skills.
Qualifications You Must Have:
- Bachelor’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM)
- 8+ years of related experience
- Design, analysis, test, and simulation experience with analog or digital controls, and driving one or more of the following motor types: Brushed, BLDC or PMSM.
- experience with analog electronics design, including all of the following: FET/BJT logic level, op-amp, high/low/band pass filters, clock/data termination, and comparator circuits.
- Experience guiding drafters through the ECAD process, including the layout and routing concerns specific to control electronics.
- Experience with designing at the circuit card stack level to meet concerns of adjacent disciplines, such as thermal, structural, mechanical, reliability, and quality.
- Experience utilizing and creating electrical design specifications.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required as only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Qualifications We Value:
- A self-starter, a quick learner, be able to function in a dynamic environment, and have good time management skills. Professional experience leading small teams.
- Professional experience communicating and documenting technical topics at the small and large team level, and experience presenting to lower levels of management.
- Professional experience conducting trade studies relating to control electronics architecture at the circuit card level.
- Exposure to professional EMI Filter design, analysis, test, and simulation considerations in control electronics circuits.
- Exposure to professional sensor (magnetic encoder, resolver, Hall Effect) use design, analysis, test, and simulation considerations in control electronics circuits. A conceptual understanding of sensors and their selection.
- Moderate professional Experience with digital control electronics design, analysis, simulation, and test. Includes familiarity with embedded systems architecture and firmware development for digital control systems.
- Moderate professional Experience with wide bandgap devices (SiC, GaN) in control electronics designs.
- Moderate professional Experience with circuit/system simulator SaberRD, and MATLAB Simulink. Knowledge of dSPACE is not required but desirable.
- Moderate professional Experience with Mentor Graphics DxDesigner, and/or Hyperlynx.
- Moderate professional Experience with acting as a liaison between program and functional management in a cross-matrixed organization.
- Moderate professional Experience with military specifications.
- Moderate professional Experience with design considerations for voltages > 100V.
- Moderate professional Experience with program management tools such as Earned Value.
- Moderate professional Experience with proposal development.
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement, and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
This position is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Tucson has a friendly, caring and laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region and recognized as one of America’s 10 Best Small Cities. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature’s best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, Tucson’s fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.