Principal Electrical Engineer - Analog / Power DesignBusinesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type Secret Relocation eligible Yes Ability to Telecommute No telecommuting Job ID 189619BR Most Recent Date Posted 10/20/2021 City Tucson State AZ Country United States
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, you have the opportunity to try new things and make a bigger difference across a broader end-to-end solution, a richer technology and product set, an expanded range of disciplines, a growing global footprint and a more diverse team of colleagues and customers.
The Low Voltage Power Products (LVPP) Department supports key Raytheon Missiles and Defense (RMD) products, by providing mission-critical designs relating to power conversion, motor controls, flight termination systems, telemetry, and other analog domains.
We are looking for senior level engineers who have power electronics knowledge to help design robust power systems for important national defense products. To succeed in this role you should be self-starter, a quick learner, be able to function in a dynamic environment, and have good time management skills.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Design, analyze, simulate, test, and document power conversion circuitry potentially utilizing any standard power conversion topologies (non-isolated and isolated) with the main emphasis on board mounted power end use applications.
- Architect at the circuit card stack level.
- See circuit card and stack development through its design phases, from requirements definition through initial integration testing.
- Drive to meet schedule concerns. Define schedules for circuit, circuit card, and stack level tasking.
- Guide ECAD drafters and junior engineers through layout and routing activities. Define layer stackup definitions. Drive decisions relating to creepage and clearance.
- Lead medium sized teams to success with schedule, budget, and technical execution.
- Engage in personal technical growth, and facilitate technical growth in peers and junior engineers. Help to understand what opportunities are needed to mature the organization on the technical front.
- Clearly present work product of your team to functional and program leadership. Manage related risk discussions. Guide junior engineers on technical presentation skills.
- Bachelor’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM)
- 8+ years of related experience
- Design, analysis, test, and simulation experience with linear converters, and familiarity with all of the following non-isolated converter topologies: buck, boost, buck-boost.
- Design, analysis, and simulation experience with at least one of the following isolated converter topologies: flyback, half-bridge, full-bridge, forward, push-pull, resonant.
- Experience using tools such as MATLAB, MathCAD, Mathematica, or other similar tools. Must have experience developing templates with these tools
- Experience with EMI Filter design, analysis, test, and simulation considerations in power electronics circuits.
- Experience with transformer and inductor design, analysis, test, and simulation considerations in power electronics circuits.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required as only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Qualifications We Value:
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering
- Understanding of switching converter control techniques and modes such as voltage mode, peak and average current modes, their advantages and disadvantages.
- Experience leading small teams (formally or informally), and experience working with other team leads toward a larger goal. Should have exposure to managing customer relationships.
- Experience communicating and documenting technical topics at the small and large team level, and experience presenting to upper levels of management.
- Experience conducting trade studies relating to power electronics architecture at the circuit card stack level.
- Experience guiding drafters through the ECAD process, including the layout and routing concerns specific to non-isolated and isolated power electronics.
- Experience Utilizing and creating electrical design specifications. Should have exposure to requirements definition early in the design cycle.
- Experience designing at the circuit card stack level to meet concerns of adjacent disciplines, such as thermal, structural, mechanical, reliability, and quality.
- Intermediate professional experience with:
- Digital power electronics design, analysis, simulation, and test. Includes familiarity with embedded systems architecture and firmware development for digitally controlled power supplies.
- Wide bandgap devices (SiC, GaN) in power electronics designs.
- Circuit simulator SIMPLIS, and/or system simulator SABER.
- Mentor Graphics DxDesigner, and/or Hyperlynx.
- Acting as a liaison between program and functional management in a cross-matrixed organization.
- Military specifications.
- Design considerations for voltages > 400V and/or power > 10kW.
- Three-phase power systems, power factor control, and inverter/rectifier development.
- Motor control development.
- Program management tools such as Earned Value.
- Proposal development.
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
This position is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Tucson has a friendly, caring and laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region and recognized as one of America’s 10 Best Small Cities. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature’s best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, Tucson’s fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.