Mgr III Systems EngineeringBusinesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type None / Not Required Relocation eligible No Job ID 164234BR Date posted 07/11/2020 City Silver Spring State MD Country United States
As a Product Improvement (PI) Manager, you will lead all aspects (schedule, budget and resource) of new work assignments (WAs) and task orders (TOs) issued to evolve AWIPS. The Product Improvement (PI) Manager leads and monitors multiple projects simultaneously and interacts with program and NWS stakeholders to ensure the PI initiatives align with NWS timelines, priorities, objectives, and the future AWIPS enterprise vision. Additional responsibilities include leading the proposal of new task orders, and execution via a group of skilled engineers in multiple program operating locations. As the cornerstone of the National Weather Service’s operations, the PI manager strives to enable future enhancements to allow for the increase in volume and velocity of data while providing a stable and high performing system allowing the quick notification to the public in the event of threatening weather events.
AWIPS is central to the ability of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS) to predict weather, water, and climate conditions. AWIPS provides NWS with the means to integrate meteorological and hydrological data into a single computer workstation. It draws data from an array of weather sensors, satellites, and numerical forecast guidance, processes and distributes the data from the 175 operational sites including Weather Forecast Offices, River Forecast Centers, and national centers. AWIPS is the NWS’s critical system for rapid, highly reliable warnings and forecasts of weather events that affect the United States, its territories, and adjacent waters.
As the NWS’ partner responsible for AWIPS operations, maintenance, 24/7 technical support, and Product Improvement, the Raytheon AWIPS team supports these critical operations.
Must be able to acquire a US Public Trust (NACI)
Required Experience, Knowledge, and/or Skill:
- 10 years of related experience with 4 of the 10 years in a supervisory role.
- Advanced knowledge or skillset in software or systems engineering, or both.
- Ability to lead a team on a daily basis, plan and execute according to plan and resource load across numerous tasks.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in an approachable way
- Exemplary critical thinking, problem resolution and both oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with systems architecture or software development.
- Agile development certification a plus
- Experience with putting together proposals, planning and executing project plans on time, schedule and cost.
- Experience with Microsoft Project, Word and Excel
- Experience with using a Linux environment.
- Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM)
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.