Engineering Project Manager for Advance Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS)Businesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type None / Not Required Relocation eligible No Job ID 168366BR Date posted 09/19/2020 City Silver Spring State MD Country United States
As the National Weather Service (NWS)’s partner responsible for Advance Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) operations, maintenance, and 24/7 technical support, the Raytheon Technologies AWIPS team supports these critical operations. Come join a diverse team of smart, creative personnel supporting one of the most unique, and relevant systems being used today. AWIPS, a cornerstone of the critical operations provided by the National Weather Service, provides an invaluable service to its users and the community.
The effective candidate will possess the skillset to develop cross functional teams in providing creative and cutting edge solutions to technical problems. You will provide strategic motivation and oversight to a diverse team of engineers with the following responsibilities
• Overall schedule and technical implementation of projects as assigned by the Program Key team members. At times cost responsibilities may be assigned.
• Resource direction within assigned projects.
• Risk and Opportunity Management of assigned projects.
• Reporting to Program Leadership on a predetermined basis both for internal and external communication.
• Customer interaction and communication of project activities and status.
• Contributing to the timely and accurate submittal of Program Deliverables.
• Strengthen process improvement across the Mission Area, centering on agile software techniques and automation.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a public trust clearance.
Required Experience, Knowledge and/or Skills:
• 8 progressive years of engineering experience, with at least 6 progressive years of supervisory experience in an STEM environment.
• Experience with managing cost and schedule throughout the lifecycle of a project.
• Familiarity with Agile methodologies.
• Experience with System, Network or Software Design engineering.
• Risk and Opportunity Management knowledge and effective implementation.
• Demonstrated experiences exercising self-guided judgment, as well as a high‐level of problem-solving skill, in solving non‐routine technical, administrative, and managerial problems
• Ability to obtain a DOC/NOAA Public Trust and CAC card.
Desired Experience, Knowledge and/or Skills:
• Experience and Knowledge of AWIPS and the AWIPS Program
• Certification in an Agile methodology (e.g. Scrum)
• Experience with AWIPS system or software design
• Experience with a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) application
• Working knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux or other rpm based distribution.
• Experience working with OEM vendors (e.g. Dell, HP, NetApp, Juniper, Cisco)
• Working knowledge of various environmental science technologies and data including NEXRAD radar systems, GOES/POES weather satellites, numeric weather forecasting grid data output and WMO standards
• SCRUM Certification
• Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM Field
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.