Sr. In-service Shipboard Systems EngineerBusinesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type Secret - Current Relocation eligible Yes Job ID 164984BR Date posted 07/15/2020 City San Diego State CA Country United States
As a Senior In-service Shipboard Systems Engineer you’ll bring the knowledge and skill sets necessary to support the LPD 17 Class Program in executing the Life-Cycle Engineering and Support (LCE&S) Contract activities on all LPD in-service ships. You’ll have the technical knowledge and experience to support in-port and underway events onboard the LPD17 Class ships including system support, troubleshooting, installation and crew training for RMD ship systems. These LPD17 Class In-service ships are currently home-ported in San Diego, CA; Norfolk, VA; Mayport. FL; and Sasabo, Japan; additional future home-ports are possible.
Travel up to 25% of the time in support of the Navy’s directed Ship’s Availabilities and emergent support requests. Assignments may include Ship Trials, Ship Sail Away, and Sea Trials - for durations up to a month on rare occasions
In this role, you’ll be responsible for supporting the following tasking:
- Support in-port and underway events onboard the LPD17 Class ships including system support, troubleshooting, installation, and crew training for shipboard data networks and related Information Assurance (IA) and cyber security initiatives for the information systems networks, Magnetic Signature Control System (MSCS), Navigation Data Distribution System (NDDS), Computer Information Display System (CIDS), Integrated Voice Networks (IVN), and other systems as required.
- Ability to work with Ship’s Force at all levels in order to provide distant support/troubleshooting of hardware and software for the various RMD systems
- Update Responsible Engineering Authority (REA) Library documents and presentations for all LPD17 systems
- Support the development of Troubleshooting Guides
- Develop and/or review ship installation documents and Engineering Drawings
- Support task leads and other staff related tasks, and interface with the RMD Systems Engineering support team in San Diego in laboratory development and testing of system equipment and system upgrades.
- Support the generation of Technical Instruction (TI) documents to be submitted for Government approval and funding
- Assist the Integrated Planning Yard team, Port Engineering, Regional Maintenance Coordinator and Navy Type Command in responding to requests for ISE material, technical assistance, Casualty Report responses, resource planning, and task execution
- Assist in hardware tracking and hardware database maintenance; support ship’s 2-Kilo process and CASREP analysis
This position can be a Salary Grade G09 or a Salary Grade G10 based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.
This position requires an Active Secret DoD security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only US Citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- 6+ years’ experience working in any of the following areas: networking communications, navigation, command and control and/or integrated electronic control systems
- At a Grade G09, 4+ years of experience in the aforementioned areas along with a relevant Master's Degree may be considered for this job.
- At a Grade G10, 6+ years of experience in the aforementioned areas along with a relevant Master's Degree may be considered for this job.
- Experience with electronic navigation and/or network communication systems
- Experience with hardware/software installations and troubleshooting – in a shipyard and/or shipboard environment or similar environments
- US Citizenship is required.
- Knowledge of integrated communications networks, including working knowledge of network servers, switches and Internet Protocols (IPs)
- Working knowledge of Information Assurance (IA), and of recent advancements in cyber security
- Experience in working aboard Navy ships both in-port and underway to accomplish shipboard testing and troubleshooting of various interconnecting systems
- Experience in the design/development and/or testing of electronic systems
- Knowledge of RMD’s LPD 17 Class integrated shipboard electronic systems (MSCS, SWAN, ECS, SCS, IVDS, CIDS, SPS-73, IVN, & NDDS)
- Familiarity with the SHIPMAIN maintenance and modernization process.
- Working knowledge of activities of a Regional Maintenance Center and other Navy waterfront resources
- Technical team leadership experience in a cross functional team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate and make presentations to Industry and Navy staff members
Bachelor’s Degree. 8+ years of relevant professional experience may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
This job is posted internally as: Sr. Technical Support Engineer II / Principal Technical Support Engineer
Here at Raytheon Technologies, we innovate to create solutions and solve complex challenges across all domains: from land and sea to air, space, and cyberspace. In doing so, we embrace the talent, expertise and perspectives of our diverse workforce, each bringing their skills, ideas and dedication to the work we do. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our customers, industry partners and our teammates, making a positive impact not only to our business, but also in our communities where we live and work. Our constant innovation is made possible by a strong culture, investing in our people, and an unwavering vision that’s shared by our employees across the globe – a vision of one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place.
What We Offer: Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits on offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.