Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Program Chief EngineerBusinesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type None / Not Required Relocation eligible No Job ID 166605BR Date posted 08/17/2020 City Riverdale State MD Country United States
Raytheon Intelligence and Space (RIS) is seeking a Program Chief Engineer (PCE) for the Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Common Ground System (CGS) program. The JPSS team sustains and modernizes the state-of-the-art ground station for the next generation of low earth orbiting environmental satellites. This national asset provides global coverage, monitors environmental conditions, collects, disseminates & processes data about the Earth's weather, atmosphere, oceans, land, & near-space environment.
The JPSS Program Chief Engineer is responsible for the technical, cost, and schedule execution of all engineering tasks on the program. The PCE is the Engineering point of contact for the Program Manager as well as the point of contact for all program functional staff. Due to the size of the JPSS program this position is for the lead Engineer, and as such the candidate may be required to reach out to other staff on the program in support of the following areas.
- Establish and manage a product vision, strategy and goals to align the Program with the Customer and facilitate conflict resolution.
- Responsible for overall Engineering execution within the JPSS program, reporting to DCS Business Area Chief Engineer.
- Determines & monitors technical priorities to meet cost, schedule & performance for the entire program. Works closely with the functional discipline organizations to review program execution on a periodic basis to ensure schedule and cost are being met.
- Responsible for the overall success of JPSS SW/HW deployments throughout the lifecycle and the oversight of the operational site support staff reporting to the JPSS Program Director.
- Prepare and Conduct Engineering Program Reviews (EPRs) monthly. Support Program Director for engineering matters related to Monthly Program Reviews.
- Develop executable Estimates at Completion (EAC) for the program in collaboration with the responsible Engineering Control Account managers.
- Work closely with functional disciplines on program staffing. Ensure staffing forecasts are accurate and up to date. Work with Engineering discipline organizations to ensure appropriate staffing is assigned.
- Ensure process tailoring is approved (EPIC) and ensure engineering process compliance.
- Provide oversight and review all program metrics for engineering. Establish and track both Key Performance Parameters (KPPs) and allocated Technical Performance Measures (TPMs) across the lifecycle as a means for measuring technical progress and assessing risk.
- Ensures proper configuration management of Engineering work products and chairs ERB, CCB and other major review boards.
- Ensure effective use of independent reviews and achieve on-time completion of all Engineering Gate reviews.
- Provide accurate and timely status reports to the Program and Engineering organizations.
- B.S.in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) degree and at least 12 years’ experience as a Program Manager, Chief Engineer, and/or as an Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead on a major program.
- Knowledge and experience in the integration and deployment of large software systems to multiple test and operational environments.
- Strong knowledge of multiple engineering disciplines with a strong focus on Large Scale Software Development, Integrated Product Development System (IPDS) and Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Proven Executive level communication skills.
- Extensive program execution experience on medium to large system development
- Experience with suppliers in technical and/or programmatic oversight role.
- Experience in all phases of development program lifecycle.
- Significant experience in Risk and Opportunity Management.
- Experience with emerging SW methodologies, including agile methods and the incorporation of tools and principles (i.e. continuous integration) to reduce defects, increase software productivity, and improve maintainability.
- Platform Systems domain experience with unmanned vehicle command and control or mission planning.
- Raytheon Program Management Certification (Level 5)
- Raytheon Lead Program Engineer Certification (or ability to achieve in 8 months)
- Certified Technical Subcontract Manager (TSM)
- Previous experience with software and hardware integration
- Team building and motivational skills
- R6 Sigma Specialist Qualified
- Agile Certifications (Scrum Master, SPC, SAFe)
- Experienced in customer communication skills
Required Education (including Major):
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Math (or equivalent). Preference for a Master’s degree.
This position requires a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.