Principal Physics EngineerBusinesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type Secret Relocation eligible Yes Ability to Telecommute Temporary telecommuting - during COVID-19 Job ID 178837BR Most Recent Date Posted 04/20/2021 City McKinney State TX Country United States
- Translate program requirements into performance based hardware requirements
- Perform analysis and modeling of stray light in optical systems
- Provide optical design engineering and manufacturing support for stray light control
- Establish stray light requirements and verification plans
- Analyze complex Visible and Infrared electro-optical systems for undesirable optical effects due to propagation of light through opto-mechanical system.
- Generate preliminary baffle designs and select optical component materials
- Analyze simple and complex electro-optical systems for stray light paths, scattered energy, pupil control, and radiometric performance.
- Create accurate opto-mechanical models of light sources, optical surfaces, optical coatings/materials, and structural materials
- Generate requirements for particulate and molecular levels, surface roughness/scatter, scratch/dig, material emissivity, baffle edges and location,
- Perform non-sequential ray tracing, laser beam propagation, polarization, diffraction, coherent and non-coherent
- Verify performance utilizing in-house, industry, and government test facilities
- Exhibit current expertise with analysis programs such as FRED or Zemax OpticStudio
This person will support the development and flow down of systems requirements, as well as participate in the requirements, development, implementation and validation of test equipment. This person will work among engineering disciplines to coordinate use of test equipment during test and the development of procedures for assembly and test of flight hardware.
This person will be performing the lead system engineering analyst role for a highly complex optical system; responsible for analyzing requirements and documenting and, in many cases, negotiating, derived flow-down and interface requirements. This is not only technically highly challenging, but is made even more challenging as the team balances cost, schedule and quality. At all times this person will maintain a highly rigorous approach to validation of requirements for the customer.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the development of advanced Electro-Optical Infrared and Visible Imaging Sensor Systems for use in airborne and space applications. This person will utilize experience in space based infrared and visible imaging hardware to improve design and development cycle times. This person will be responsible for design, integration and testing of advanced optical imaging telescopes and associated hardware, and perform complex critical alignments, testing and troubleshooting of refractive and reflective optical assemblies. This person will perform radiometric and line-of-sight analyses and budget allocations. This person will generate radiometric error budgets and calibration procedures, and operate within an optical measurement and integration laboratory environment.
- Expertise in stray light analysis
- Expertise in Fred and/or Zemax OpticStudio
- Knowledge of optical testing techniques and model verification
- Experience in coherent beam propagation and lasers
- Experience with Matlab or a similar type mathematical modeling program
- Experience with airborne and/or space imaging systems
- Experience with technical presentations
- Ability to develop cost and schedule estimates
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance is required within the first year of employment. US citizenship is required as only US citizen are eligible for a security clearance.
- Experience with other optical propagation and modeling tools (Code V, Zemax, etc.)
- Experience with product development
- Other optical skills such as alignment and wavefront testing
- Understanding of general optical measurement tools
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to present data to management and customers
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering or Physics or equivalent
- Advanced degree in Engineering or Physics with an emphasis in Optics and/or Lasers
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.