Mechanical Engineer (Structures and Design - Weapons)Businesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type SC Relocation eligible No Job ID 171579BR Date posted 12/02/2020 City Harlow Country United Kingdom
Role - Mechanical Engineer (Structures and Design - Weapons)
Location - Harlow
Req ID - 171579BR
The Weapons area primarily supports the design, development, production and integration activities associated with the Paveway IV Weapon System. The Engineering Team also undertakes numerous development studies and investigation activities involving weapon performance and platform interfacing.
There is an opportunity for someone to join the Weapons team and contribute to its development and growth. This role is ideally suited to an early career engineer with a keen interest in weapon systems, and with a background in mechanical design.
The role will be based at Raytheon’s Harlow facility and the successful applicant will report directly to the Systems Engineering Lead. The successful candidate will have access to professional development opportunities and be part of the growing Defence Business in Raytheon UK, delivering engineering expertise across a wide range of projects to both military and civil customers worldwide.
The successful applicant will support the Weapons Team across various programmes (both internally and Customer funded) and will involve the following main duties:
• Evaluation of structural behaviour of complex assemblies including vibration, structural integrity and strength of design
• Design of mechanical interfaces and enclosures
• Creation of CAD geometry to support sub system development , analysis and final assembly concepts
• Experience in the use of finite element analysis software for structural analysis
• Strong CAD skills and parametric modelling experience, ideally in CREO
• Knowledge and experience of design for manufacture and design for assembly
• Experience in preparing 3D geometry for CAE toolsets and calculation of mass properties
• Degree in a STEM subject and possess a good grounding in CAD and mechanical engineering
• Demonstrable analytical and problem solving skills
• Able to converse with the Suppliers / Customers on a technical level
• Capable of analysing and reporting on technical data
• Eligible or holder of current SC security clearance
• Experience in the use of computation fluid dynamics software
• Knowledge of the use of engineering toolsets for thermal analysis
• Familiarity with the application of systems engineering approach across the design and development life cycle
• Knowledge of ITAR and associated licensing
• Weapon Systems domain knowledge and/or experience in a similar field
About Raytheon UK
With facilities in Broughton, Waddington, Glenrothes, Harlow, Gloucester and Manchester, Raytheon UK is invested in the British workforce and the development of UK technology. Across the country the company employs 1,700 people and supports 8,000 jobs. As a prime contractor and major supplier to the U.K. Ministry of Defence, Raytheon continues to invest in research and development, supporting innovation and technological advances across the country.
Raytheon Company, with 2018 sales of $27 billion and 67,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 97 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5I™ products and services, sensing, effects and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
Raytheon Career Development
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
· 25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
· Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
· 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
· Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
· Enhanced sick pay scheme
· Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
· 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements can be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
· Canteen facilities available at Harlow and Glenrothes sites. Manchester and Gloucester offer free snacks & drinks.
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), Raytheon Reservist Network (RaRe), Raytheon Alliance for Diverse Abilities (RADA) and all work together with our Diversity & Inclusion counsel, and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.
As a proud contributor to the HM Armed Forces, Raytheon UK signed the HM Armed Forces covenant in 2014. Due to the varied activities and support to our Armed Forces & Reservists,
Raytheon UK has since been awarded the prestigious Covenant ‘Gold Award’ Employee Recognition.
Raytheon UK recognise that our people are the critical factor in our success, and we strive to provide a challenging and rewarding careers.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.