Counsel, Benefit Plans InvestmentsBusinesses Raytheon Technologies Corporate Job ID 01400373 Date posted 05/19/2020 City Farmington State Connecticut Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:UT10: 10 Farm Springs 10 Farm Springs Road, Farmington, CT, 06032 USA
Raytheon Technologies Corporation is an aerospace and defense company that provides advanced systems and services for commercial, military and government customers worldwide. It comprises four industry-leading businesses – Collins Aerospace Systems, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon Intelligence & Space and Raytheon Missiles & Defense. Its 195,000 employees enable the company to operate at the edge of known science as they imagine and deliver solutions that push the boundaries in quantum physics, electric propulsion, directed energy, hypersonics, avionics and cybersecurity. The company, formed in 2020 through the combination of Raytheon Company and the United Technologies Corporation aerospace businesses, is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Counsel, Benefit Plan Investments (Farmington, CT or Waltham, MA)
This attorney will primarily provide legal counsel to Raytheon Technologies Corporation’s (RTX’s) Chief Investment Officer and her team of investment professionals. Combined, RTX retirement plans hold plan assets of approximately $100 Billion and engage in significant transactional investment activity. The attorney will be a member of the RTX legal department and report to RTX’s Vice President and Associate General Counsel responsible for Employment, Benefits and Compensation (who reports to RTX’s EVP & General Counsel).
This attorney will play a pivotal role as a member of a highly qualified legal/business team developing and working through business initiatives and strategies. Attorneys are challenged to develop legal solutions that will facilitate the company’s interests worldwide – not merely say “no”. The attorney’s ability to work effectively with management, win their confidence, and cause them to seek out his or her advice is important to success in the position.
Important to this positions are the interpersonal skills and business acumen necessary to provide strategic legal counsel to a sophisticated, expert client base. This candidate should have a sense of urgency, and be energetic, organized, adaptable, and a self-starter. Over time, responsibilities for the attorney assuming this position could grow and provide opportunity for advancement/promotion.
- Provide day-to-day legal advice on all institutional asset management legal matters and related fiduciary issues, including legal support for private equity and hedge fund investment subscriptions; real estate investments; 401(k) investments and all related vendor management issues.
- Direct trust compliance activities, including responsibility and oversight of the form 990T UBTI filings for the Raytheon trust which includes gathering schedule K-1s from partnerships and working with outside accounting firm.
- Analyze and advise on evolving ERISA, tax and securities regulations impacting benefit plan investors.
- Prepare for and attend pension staff meetings (weekly) led by CIO and investment committee meetings (quarterly) led by CFO.
- Support HR benefits staff in plan administration and communication issues pertaining to plan investments.
Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 5 years relevant legal experience (ERISA investments, employee benefits, tax)
• Experience advising on employee retirement and health laws and regulations would be a plus.
• Strong legal and client relations skills, solid academic credentials, and membership in a US bar.
• Impeccable ethics and integrity.
• A down-to-earth personal style and roll-up-your-sleeves work ethic that characterizes the work style of this high-tech manufacturing company.
• Strong legal reasoning, detail-focus, writing and advocacy skills.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills that will cause the attorney’s counsel to be sought and followed.
• Ability to effectively direct and manage outside counsel.
• Travel is not expected to be a significant element of the position (less than 5%).
15 Years Experience with BS or BA Degree in a technical program desired
Or Advanced Degree with 12 years experience desired
Relocation Assistance: NO
Required Status: US Citizen or US Person required
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms