Senior Tool Design EngineerBusinesses Collins Aerospace Job ID 01474969 Most Recent Date Posted 10/11/2021 City Chula Vista State California Country United States
Country:United States of America
Location:HCA21: Aerostructures - Chula Vista 850 Lagoon Blvd, Chula Vista, CA, 91910 USA
Collins Aerospace is looking for a Senior Tool Design Engineer who will work directly with multiple engineering disciplines: Operations, Programs, Quality, Stress and Spares. You will design various tooling fixtures for machining, welding, assembly, handling, ground support and composites tooling. You will also serve as technical support for tooling related issues on new and legacy product designs and manufacturing processes. In addition, you will have the opportunity to present your designs from conception to the release of the design including presenting to senior level leadership.
Position is currently working remote. Will be required to work onsite in a hybrid capacity in Chula Vista CA when circumstances permit in 2022.
- Carries out detailed tool design work utilizing CATIA V5 3D modelling (Model Based Definition) designs standard work.
- Designs various tooling, fixtures for machining, welding, assembly, handling, ground support and composites tooling
- Support of Master Dimension activities, such as design assist for NC machining and Mylar creation and plotting for inspection tooling.
- Communicate and interface openly and frequently with Managers, Project Engineers and other discipline engineers and participate in periodic project reviews and customer discussions, as required, to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Agreeing the Tool Design approach with leaders and customers.
- Highlights all technical risks to tooling lead
- Prepare and present mechanical design reviews
- Keep all design files accurate, up to date and stored in accordance with departmental procedures
- Serve as technical support for tooling related issues on new and legacy designs
- Adopt and implement continuous improvement using the CORE operating system
- Participate in or lead 3P, assembly flow and part family events
- Participate in Producibility and NPI events and processes
- Bachelor’s degree (typically in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM)) and a minimum of 5 years of prior relevant experience unless prohibited by local laws/regulations.
- Advanced Degree in a related field and minimum 3 years experience OR
- In absence of a degree, 9 years of relevant experience is required
- Must be a U.S. Person/Permanent Resident “Green Card” holder
- Experience in a Tool Engineering, Manufacturing or Operations environment
- Experience with CATIA V5
- Experience in tooling design and fabrication
- Experience with design for manufacturability
- Able to communicate and make presentations to senior level leadership
- Knowledge of design and manufacturing processes of jig, fixtures or composite tooling
- Knowledge and understanding of assembly, machining and composite manufacturing processes.
- Basic knowledge of stress analysis methods and requirements for tooling & handling equipment
- Proficient in ANSI Y14 Dimensional Methods
- Able to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally when circumstances permit
- Experience in an aerospace manufacturing environment
- Experience with development, testing, and validation
- Ability to prepare technical Statement of Work packages for offload of design
- Able to perform basic stress calculations of equipment/structures sizing, and define structural and technical specifications
- Knowledge and understanding of tool fabrication processes including welding, machining, bonding, heat treat, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of Handling Equipment (loads, CG), and Ground Support Equipment.
- Basic understanding of load path, load balance, free body diagram and experience in classical analysis methods used in Aerospace structural analysis
- Strong knowledge of Aerospace tooling including detail parts, assemblies and composites
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with methodical and thorough problem solving
- Experienced in Lean manufacturing principles and strong aptitude towards implementing continuous improvement
- Working knowledge of statistical process control.
- Experience with SAP
- Experience with Lean, Six Sigma or ACE
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers’ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Collins Aerospace’s Aerostructures business is a world leader in the design, manufacture, integration and support of nacelles -- the aerodynamic structures which house aircraft engines. Our nacelle technologies improve fuel efficiency, reduce engine noise and supply critical stopping power when an airplane lands. Today, our innovative nacelle systems are featured on many of the world’s newest and most game-changing commercial, regional and business jet platforms. And we’re not stopping there: we’re working hard to create the next generation of nacelles that are greener, quieter and more efficient. In addition, our Engineered Polymer Products division is a leading developer and manufacturer of advanced, high-performance composite and elastomeric structures and products for marine applications. Whether in the air or underwater, we’re pushing the limits of innovation. Want to join us on this important journey?
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
WE ARE REDEFINING AEROSPACE.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
- Employee Scholar Program, tuition reimbursement program
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
- Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
- Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
- Incentives for a Healthy You
- Bright Horizons, back-up child / elder care and college coach resources
- Autism Benefit
- Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
- Adoption Assistance
- Teladoc Medical Experts, second opinion program
- And more!
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms