Principal Investigator: Natural Language ProcessingBusinesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type None / Not Required Relocation eligible Yes Job ID 160496BR Date posted 04/14/2020 City MD State Cambridge Country MA
Who we are
For more than 70 years, scientists and engineers in diverse disciplines at BBN have collaborated to solve real-world problems through research, exploration, development and prototyping. We partner with the best technical talent in academia and industry to challenge the status quo, pioneer new technologies, and create transformative solutions.
Our Analytics & Machine Intelligence team has the expertise to apply deep knowledge of machine learning approaches and other artificial intelligence techniques, learned and refined in human language technologies, to myriad problems faced by our current and future customers. We are seeking creative and talented Natural Language Processing researchers to join us in our research and development efforts.
We combine deep knowledge of linguistic structures with state-of-the-art statistical approaches to find critical patterns in language to help in translation, event extraction, and profile generation. We apply this knowledge in challenging tasks: finding and summarizing key information in multi-lingual corpora, understanding the relations between world events, predicting future events, and forming multiple interpretations of real-world situations.
What you will do
- Lead research direction on projects investigating
- Information Extraction
- Cross-lingual Information Retrieval
- Machine Translation
- Abstractive Summarization
- Automatic Knowledge Base Construction
- Robust and Reliable Machine Learning
- Carry out experiments in support of the above – get your hands dirty with data and algorithms
- Propose new research in machine learning applications to language technologies and other areas of importance to national security
- Build relationships with government program managers based on mutual respect for technological depth and creativity
- Capture new business from new and existing customers by leveraging the strength of BBN expertise and capabilities
- Write and present conference papers about your work at peer-reviewed venues
- Mentor junior staff on experimental design, best practices in research and engineering, and state of the art techniques in NLP and HLT
What you will gain
- Opportunities to propose new ideas and solutions to challenging scientific and technological problems
- Empowerment to satisfy your scientific curiosity and entrepreneurial drive
- Scientific and technological leadership opportunities, setting program direction and priorities
- Mentoring and training on business development, including customer relationship building and proposal writing
- Financial rewards for successful business development
- Travel and networking opportunities at conferences, technical integration meetings, and business development engagements
- Flexibility to work on the schedule that fits your lifestyle and needs
- A dedicated office where you can design your ideal working environment and express your own personality
- BS with 11+ years, or MS with 9+ years, or PhD with 6 years experience
- Degrees in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computational Linguistics, Electrical Engineering, and other related fields are all welcome
- Multiple publications in natural language processing or human language technologies.
- Proven ability to carry out a research project from idea to design, implementation, testing, and publication.
- Participation in research regarding cross-lingual or non-English natural language data.
- Strong communicator with demonstrated ability to address customer needs in a dynamic environment
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art techniques used in addressing NLP challenges.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and a willingness to work closely with customers and partners.
- Willingness to occasionally travel overnight
- Proven success in proposal or grant writing
- Novel ideas on next directions for HLT research
- Experience in leading research programs involving 2 or more people over a year or longer
- Teaching or mentorship experience
- Strong programming skills, e.g. system design and implementation
- Previous participation on government research programs, such as LORELEI, MATERIAL, or AIDA.
- Eligibility for a security clearance, active clearance a plus.
At BBN you will find an exciting, collaborative environment that offers the opportunity to contribute to revolutionary research that solves important problems. Career growth is encouraged through support for on-site training, mentoring, 100% tuition program, publications and participating in leading research conferences. If you have a growth mindset and you thrive under pressure, Come Join Our Team! We offer outstanding benefits that include flexible work schedules, a 5% 401k company match, a 5% Retirement Contribution plan, performance based incentive plans, an onsite gym (in Cambridge), paid parental leave, paid time off, and all kinds of employee discounts.
This position requires either (1) US citizenship, (2) Permanent Residency, or (3) other suitable documentation to permit hiring if you are not a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.