Graduate Intern - Summer 2021 - NLP / Speech / Machine LearningBusinesses Raytheon Intelligence & Space Clearance type None / Not Required Relocation eligible Yes Job ID 168536BR Date posted 09/16/2020 City Cambridge State MA Country United States
Who we are!
For more than 70 years, scientists and engineers in diverse disciplines at BBN have collaborated to solve real-world problems through research, exploration, development, and prototyping. We partner with the best technical talent in academia and industry to challenge the status quo, pioneer new technologies, and create transformative solutions.
Our Analytics & Machine Intelligence team has the expertise to apply deep knowledge of machine learning approaches and other artificial intelligence techniques, learned and refined in human language technologies, to myriad problems faced by our customers. We are seeking creative and talented Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning researchers to join us in our research and development efforts.
We combine deep knowledge of linguistic structures with state-of-the-art statistical approaches to find critical patterns in language to help in speech recognition, automatic translation, event extraction, and profile generation. We apply this knowledge in challenging tasks: finding and summarizing key information in multi-lingual corpora (from text or speech), understanding the relations between world events, predicting future events, and forming multiple interpretations of real-world situations.
What are some of the things you might do?
- Design and implement experiments to test new hypotheses regarding
- Cross-lingual Information Extraction and Retrieval
- Speech Recognition and Speaker Identification
- Machine Translation
- Abstractive Summarization
- Automatic Knowledge Base Construction
- Ontology Grounding
- Work on a team to apply advanced techniques to real world problems
- Test new methods against a variety of challenging datasets
- Participate in collaborative evaluations that test our implementations on new data
- Experience with cutting-edge research and prototype development
- A deeper understanding of language structure and usage in a variety of domains, including social media and non-traditional contexts
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art machine learning techniques and programming packages
- Opportunities to propose new ideas and solutions to challenging scientific and technological problems
- Empowerment to satisfy your scientific curiosity and entrepreneurial drive
- Flexibility to work on the schedule that fits your lifestyle and needs
- A dedicated office where you can design your ideal working environment and express your own personality
- A summer of experience working with world class researchers
- Graduate student working towards a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Computational Linguistics
- An interest in working collaboratively on challenging problems
- Experience programming in some combination of Java, Python, Perl, and C++
- Experience working on code collaboratively, including use of tools such as git and issue tracking
- Sound knowledge of linguistics, mathematics, and statistics
- Experience in containerization, e.g. Docker and/or Singularity
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art techniques used in addressing NLP challenges
- Strong communicator with demonstrated ability to address customer needs in a dynamic environment
- Participation in research regarding cross-lingual or non-English natural language data
- Previous participation on government research programs, such as LORELEI, MATERIAL, or AIDA
- We also welcome applications from non-U.S. persons
This position requires either (1) US citizenship, (2) Permanent Residency, or (3) other suitable documentation to permit hiring if you are not a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.