Senior Cloud Platform Engineer I/II - MA Area (Remote)Businesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type None / Not Required Relocation eligible No Ability to Telecommute Part time telecommuting Job ID 180607BR Most Recent Date Posted 06/10/2021 City Andover State MA Country United States
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, fresh thinking and possibilities are forged in times of change and you will be on the front lines as we trail blaze new approaches, push the boundaries of innovation and chart a course to a tomorrow you can be proud to have a hand in creating.
Our Digital Technology (IT) organization ensures that RTX teams across the globe are able to communicate, collaborate and innovate for customer success. We create leading-edge technology solutions to prevent security threats and protect the integrity of our systems. As a Raytheon Missiles and Defense (RMD) Digital Technology Cloud Platform Engineer, you will collaborate and partner with a diverse cross-section of DT, Engineering, and Program teammates supporting RMD’s programs and functional areas in order to continually improve the quality, speed and cost of IT environments and platforms. Reporting to the RMD Digital Technology Digital Business Infrastructure organization, your efforts will be focused on the modernization, development and scaling of cloud native platforms across the unclassified and classified domains.
The cloud platform engineer will be responsible for providing cloud native platform design recommendations and leading the implementation and support of multiple environments across cloud and on-premises data center locations. Additional responsibilities include the day-to-day support of multiple Kubernetes clusters and associated automated capabilities through continuous integration / continuous delivery (CI/CD) methods. The individual will also drive standard processes and governance across the multiple platforms and work environments while partnering with a diverse set of colleagues and stakeholders.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Install, configure, maintain, and support Kubernetes clusters
- Develop automation and scripted installation and deployment approach across multiple infrastructures
- Establish governance and service best practices to ensure overall cluster and platform availability and meet SLA/SLOs
- Establish monitoring tools and management dashboards integrated into platforms with best practice notifications and response processes
- Work with teams managing infrastructure, networking, and application development to forecast capacity, scaling and demand
- Set up and maintain AWS GovCloud and Azure for Government services and environments
- Set up and maintain VMWare infrastructure
- Utilize automation tools to optimize the environments for DevOps
- Resolve platform issues and implement change management processes
- Support platform consumers by installing, maintaining, administering, and managing servers and network systems
- Partner with senior architects and technologists for the creation, design and implementation of new cloud platforms
- Partner and execute the exploration of innovative and new ideas and concepts and provide technical recommendations
- Partner and execute the creation and approval of technical design artifacts
- Collaborate with IT operations teams to support platform hosted applications
- Provide standards, processes, and oversight of platforms and associated services
- Recommend process improvements, and identify optimization opportunities
- Establish strong partnerships with peered services groups and across all Raytheon IT leadership to ensure provided services align with IT leadership needs
This position can be a G08 or a G09, based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position
Qualifications You Must Have:
- Bachelor’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Cloud Computing or Mathematics or related technical field.
- Minimum of 6-8 years’ of professional experience working in technical fields as a leader, architect, manager, technologist, or engineer.
- Experience deploying new cloud native platforms and systems in classified and/or unclassified work environments.
- Experience designing and operating highly scalable, secure, high performing systems, platforms and Kubernetes clusters
- Experience installing, deploying, monitoring and supporting Kubernetes clusters in on-premises and cloud infrastructure
- Experience working with OpenShift Container Platform, VMWare Tanzu, Rancher RKE, and other leading Kubernetes platforms
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required as only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance
Qualifications We Value:
- Experience implementing automation through CI/CD pipelines, configuration management tools and scripted solutions using Terraform, Ansible or Chef
- Experience working with VMWare, AWS GovCloud and Azure for Government
- Prior experience in application management and release methodologies
- Prior experience in application controls and compliance
- Experience working with diverse workforces, contractors and suppliers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to translate Business and Function demands to technical requirements and tasks
- Ability to support occasional domestic travel
- Ability to clearly document and diagram technical systems
- Experience with multiple automation / orchestration tools including: Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Puppet
- Experience working with cloud native computing foundation Kubernetes components including service mesh, service discovery, package management, observability and monitoring, runtimes, and security
- Understanding of GitOps and using package management technologies with Kubernetes cluster management and operations
- Experience working and designing and implementing Kubernetes clusters and platforms across multiple infrastructures
- Implementing Kubernetes on air-gapped and regulated networks and environments
- Strong understanding of cloud native landscape and various components
- An active and in-scope (insert level) US security clearance
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Clearance Information: This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. More information about Security Clearances can be found on the US Department of State government website here: https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.