Senior Mechanical Engineer - Thermal AnalystBusinesses Raytheon Missiles & Defense Clearance type Secret Relocation eligible No Ability to Telecommute Temporary telecommuting - during COVID-19 Job ID 186720BR Most Recent Date Posted 09/12/2021 City Aguadilla State PR Country United States
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, a division of Raytheon Technologies (RTX), you have the opportunity to try new things and make a bigger difference across a broader end-to-end solution, a richer technology and product set, an expanded range of disciplines, a growing global footprint and a more diverse team of colleagues and customers.
Raytheon Missile and Defense’s (RMD) Mechanical Product Team (MPT) leads in mechanical hardware design, support, development and production of radar, sonar, torpedo and combat system equipment. The Mechanical Product Team uses state-of the-art tools, processes and technology. MPT’s capabilities encompass a broad range of technical disciplines which include engineering, manufacturing, technical services, materials, processes, analysis, test and documentation.
The Mechanical Analysis and Test (MA&T) Department is responsible for ensuring the structural integrity and positive thermal margin of all RMD Products. From the preliminary concept to fielded weapon support, MA&T delivers innovative and robust thermal analysis solutions utilizing methods ranging from classical fundamental and proprietary empirically based techniques, to state-of-the-art finite element methods and commercial computer codes.
Newly opened, our Global Engineering Center - Puerto Rico, is searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer - Thermal Analyst to join our elite team of engineers.
The Mechanical Design Engineer - Thermal Analyst is responsible for detailed thermal/fluid flow analysis to support all phases of programs including supporting development and production. In this role, you will be joining a highly specialized analysis group, which supports the design of a variety of electronics cooling applications, most of which apply to radar applications (ground-based, shipboard and undersea). From a functional standpoint, you will join a highly talented MA&T department consisting of over 50 thermal engineers and will be provided with mentoring opportunities.
There's no such thing as a perfect candidate, so don't hold back. Your qualifications could add tremendous value to our team. Our customers come from all different backgrounds, and so do our employees. If you're passionate about what you could accomplish here, we'd love to hear from you.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
• Perform Hand Calculations to determine scope of higher detail analysis models to support all phases of programs including supporting development and production
• Perform detailed analysis to solve diverse program thermal challenges, perform thermal testing/measurements and support internal or customer funded research and design projects
• Provide thermal design and analysis support for new architectures as well as refurbished field replacements or equipment that consists of a combination of current and obsolete hardware
• Perform peer reviews of all analysis to validate process and support results
• Document results according to corporate standards
• Deliver results to customers (internal and external)
• Interact with multidisciplinary teams to support the assigned analysis task, whether it be with other MA&T team members, stakeholders from Mechanical/Electrical Design, Reliability and Manufacturing and/or with external customers and suppliers
• Act as a technical leader (help define/refine and/or develop/support MA&T department technical processes and tools) and/or lead MA&T teams
• Assist in program planning and may support proposal writing/estimating
This position can be a Senior Mechanical Engineer or Principal Mechanical Engineer, based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.
Qualifications You Must Have:
• Bachelor’s in in General Engineering, Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Systems Engineering, Applied Physics or related field from an accredited university.
• A minimum of five (5) years of thermal analysis experience
• Experience using FlowTherm, ANSYS, or an equivalent thermal analysis tool
• Utilization of finite element tools to provide classical thermal analysis solutions
• Experience correlating finite element analysis models with test data
Must have or be capable of obtaining and maintaining a US Department of Defense (DoD) security clearance. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation/reinstatement and must meet eligibility requirements.
Qualifications We Value:
• Eight (8) or more years of experience in the thermal analysis of complex systems that require collaboration of multiple engineering disciplines (such as a weapon system)
• Earned Value Management System knowledge
• Understanding of thermodynamic principles to solve classical thermal analysis solutions both inside and outside of finite element tools
• Experience in Electronics Cooling and fluid flow analyses
• Ability to travel to government and other facilities in support of program activities
• Advanced degree in aforementioned disciplines. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
• Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment with positive interaction
• Basic understanding of CAD tools in order to facilitate and support finite element solutions
Raytheon Technologies Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
What We Offer:
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the benefits we offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Some of our competitive benefits include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation (prorated for hire date)
• Twelve days of sick leave (prorated for hire date)
• Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• Optional coverages you can buy: Home and Auto, additional life insurance and group legal
• Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 8 free counseling sessions
• Virgin Pulse-Wellness Reward
Nothing matters more to Raytheon Technologies than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
• Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
• Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year186720
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.